Temper S is an environmental safe and effective antifreeze for use in a wide range of applications within fire protection, used in both low and high pressure systems. The product is specially adapted for fire protection and for areas subjected to frost, with a freeze protection down to -55⁰C, which in addition to the freeze protection also provides excellent extinguishing properties. It is glycol free and chemically stable with an optimum concentration of advanced corrosion inhibitors. To ensure the high quality of the product, Temper S is always supplied ready-to-use and is available in six different versions from -10⁰C down to -55⁰C.
Temper S is produced with care for people and the environment. It is a non-toxic and readily biodegradable product that will degrade to 97 % within 7 days, within comparison to glycol the same figure is 70-85 %. Temper S is therefore classified as non-hazardous to health and environment.
Non-toxic to mammals
LD50 (oral, rat) > 5000 mg/kg
OECD 301A: 99 % after 28 days
Do not bio-accumulate
Immediate and effective suppression of fire
Immediate and effective suppression of fire
In high concern applications like fire protection in vehicles, tunnels, occupied spaces or in other critical application, it is vital to have an immediate suppression of fire and when using Temper S as extinguishing agent this is easily accomplished. With Temper S the fire will be suppressed immediately without duration and with extinguishing properties better than water.
Non-toxic and readily biodegradable
Temper S is non-toxic and readily biodegradable to minimize effects on health and environment. 97 % of the Temper S fluid will after 7 days be biodegraded in comparison with glycol based products where the biodegradability only is 70-85 % after 28 days. These properties make Temper S usable in almost any application and especially adapted for applications with environmentally concern such as fire protection in tunnels, vehicles, marine where discharges into the environment is inevitable.
Low freezing point
With freezing protection down to -55⁰C the possibility for using Temper S covers a very wide range – from any plus degree application down to deep freeze applications.
Used in both low- and high-pressure systems
Temper S is suitable for both sprinkler and water mist systems with a variety of applications. In low-pressure applications such as cold storages for food, Temper S is a very good choice as it is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. In high-pressure systems, as for example fire protection in vehicles, Temper S not only provides the system with frost protection, it also contributes with a fast and effective suppression of a potential fire.
Temper S is stable and will not change over time like other glycol-based antifreeze. For a safe system over time, Temper S is an excellent choice as it is chemical stable. The product is a salt-based product and is chemical stable due to the salt and the high salt concentration, meaning there is no risk for legionella or other bacteria in the fluid.
- Temper S is a very effective antifreeze used as a fire extinguishing media. It significantly lowers the heat release rate, whereas other antifreeze fluids, like glycol based products, may do the opposite. Due to the salts in the fluid, Temper S suppresses the fire source more efficiently than other antifreeze fluids, including water.
- The effectiveness of Temper S enables the use of a lower amount of water and therefore the potential water damage is reduced.
- The use of Temper S means that the suppression of the fire is not delayed as the case when using dry piping systems. The fire will be suppressed instantly when the detection systems detects the fire.
Temper S corrosion inhibitor protection is a non-toxic and environmentally friendly adapt product. It is an adsorption corrosion protection meaning it works locally when needed if electronic potential differences arises. It does not form a general protective film. It is therefore very easy to assess the corrosion condition of a system by analyzing and determine the number of “free” inhibitor molecules. If the number of free molecules falls below a given value, optimal corrosion protection can be restored by adding pure corrosion inhibitor. The corrosion inhibitor package protects most of the common construction materials except from galvanized steel and zinc.
- Temper S is a salt-based product and is chemical stable due to the salt and the high salt concentration, meaning there is no risk for legionella or other bacteria in the fluid.
- The product is delivered ready-to-use and may not be mixed with other fluids or water, this will affect the performance of frost protection and the corrosion protection
- The numbers on the label give the approved freeze protection temperature (Example: Temper S -20 = Freeze protection of -20C).
- Temper S should only be used in closed systems. Oxygen always means an increased risk of corrosion. It is very important to purge the system from air, especially after first filling or refilling with Temper S.
- Before being filled, the system must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt, welding remains, any remaining water from the pressure test and any other “foreign” particles.
- During installation, cover the ends of pipes to prevent dirt and damp from penetrating in.
- Install the pipe system so “high points” can be used for purging out air and so no water is trapped in the system before filling up with Temper S.
- Most materials can be used, such as copper, brass (dezincified), steel, stainless steel, cast iron and certain types of plastic pipes.
- Unsuitable materials are; galvanized steel, zinc and soft solder. Temper S shall not be used in galvanized pipes or in connection with other components containing zinc.
- Gaskets and packing materials must be compatible with Temper S and suitable for the system’s minimum and maximum temperatures
- Do not allow the sprinkler system to stand empty with no fluid, or only partly filled with fluid, as this can allow surface rust to form on the insides of the pipes.
- If a spillage with Temper S occurs, it is essential to rinse with water and wipe the surface dry at once. If needed, use a soft brush before rinsing with water.
- Make sure to examine the reason for the spillage and correct the problem as soon as possible, as leakage means entrance of air in the system.
- Temper Technology recommends to analyze the chemical and physical properties as well as the freezing point once a year. This will increase the overall system life as it gives a good picture of the systems “well-being”.